Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Vonnegut



Kurt Vonnegut is most definitely my favorite author of all time. It makes it even better that he is from Indianapolis, and writes about in every book I have read of his so far (I think, maybe not Breakfast of Champions but he probably did.) Although he writes many of his books about science fiction and is known as a science fiction writer many of his short stories and books are about war, love, and many other things. His black humor is like none other and very original.

I have to admit I have only read, Slaughterhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle, Mother Night, The Sirens of Titan, Welcome To The Monkey House, and Armageddon in Retrospective. The first three I read in ninth grade and certainly need to read again. When I read Slaughterhouse-Five I knew right then that it was my favorite book and will probably be for the rest of my life (the same thing happened when I watched Pulp Fiction.) However, The Sirens of Titan was a masterpiece so unbelievably amazing that I thought it could be number one, but that argument is for a later time.

The man and his writings could be legendary. His true story about being a POW in World War Two and his life outside of war are so interesting. No wonder he wrote about them, he should have, they made damn good stories; and gave kids like me more open minds and the ability to think greater than what we watch on television.

No comments:

Post a Comment